There aren’t too many things that can go wrong with eTemperature and the Thermocrons.
Reader not found
The adaptor (reader) hasn’t been found. Causes include:
- Reader not plugged in
- Windows is blocking access to it – run as administrator once to fix this
- Corrupted driver – check the device manager to see if the “1-wire reader” is working correctly
- Broken reader – this is typically only the old readers with the silver USB connection
Waiting for thermocron/logger
The reader has been found but the logger hasn’t been found. Causes include:
- Thermocron not plugged in
- The circle part of the blue dot reader isn’t making contact. Use the other circle to see if it is the problem.
- The connector between the coiled cable and the USB adaptor isn’t making good contact. Disconnect and reconnect it. This is generally reliable but years ago we had a bad batch (5% failure rate) where we recrimped the connector to fix it.
The software can read the ID but not the contents. This is typical of a dead battery.
There was a problem introduced by a change in Windows that set the password in some loggers which isn’t detected until the user upgrades the software. If the customer uses the free Maxim app then they also have access to the password feature.
Flashing between “device found” and “waiting”
No idea. It doesn’t happen that often and we typically replace the unit and get you to send us the old unit.
Occasionally the software may crash or lockup. If it only happens once then forget about it and restart. That’s computers for you. If it happens again then let us know.